Since we last wrote about restaurants in Fez we have eaten at a bunch of different places and so we thought it time to update the list.
|Fine food at Dar Roumana|
Eating out in Fes!
If you're visiting to Fez then you are in for a very tasty vacation. The View from Fez takes a look at what's on offer (click on the name of the restaurant to see our review):
The most convenient area is around Bab Boujloud, as it's mid-way between the Batha Museum and Bab al Makina and there is a wide choice of pavement cafes and restaurants.
- Restaurant Bouayyad is just inside the famous Blue Gate and is a good choice if the weather is very hot - there's air-conditioning inside. It serves the usual traditional fare, and the fish tagine is excellent. A tip: it also has good loos!
- The Kasbah is an institution in Fez, though the food isn't so great. There are wonderful views from the top terrace and it's a good place for a mint tea.
- Just outside Bab Boujloud and up the street to the right, you'll find the Medina Cafe.
- Along Serrajine, inside Bab Boujloud and to the right, there's a row of restaurants, among them Rachid's, Al Fassia, and Thami's in the corner under the mulberry tree. They're all very reasonable.
For something a little more upmarket in a middle price bracket, try these restaurants:
- Head down Tala'a Kebira just beyond the Bouanania Medersa and turn right into Derb Tariana. Here you'll find Le Chameau Bleu, a pretty little place with a pleasant roof terrace. There are traditional Moroccan dishes on the menu, along with grilled meat barbecued over coals, a good lasagne, and excellent fresh Atlas trout.
- In Oued Souafine, you'll find Najmat Souafine which is perfect for lunch and dinner, or just for tea on the terrace. They have good fish. It's close to Riad Mokri, one of the venues for the Nights in the Medina (Monday and Tuesday).
- Fes et Gestes is in Ziat, and set in a lovely garden with a fountain. It's a good place for lunch or dinner and serves traditional Moroccan fare. Ph 0535 63 85 32.
- Mezzanine is very convenient as it's close to Bab al Makina, opposite the beautiful Jnan Sbil gardens. It's a chic, modern bar with a great roof terrace that serves good food at lunch and dinner time. There are steaks, pastas, tartines and tapas.
- And of course, there's always Cafe Clock with its funky vibe, good cafe food (especially the camel burger), and its convenient location opposite the Bouanania Medersa.
For a special treat, head to these beautiful restaurants that are all serving an early dinner for concert-goers:
- Fez Cafe at Le Jardin des Biehn: This is a fun bistro set in a beautiful garden, and well worth seeking out. Lunch is served between noon and 15h00, and for the festival, dinner will be available from 18h00 to 22h30. Do make a reservation for dinner on 06 66 26 08 24.
- Dar Roumana is a guesthouse on the north side of the medina, close to parking at Bab Guissa. They will be serving dinner at 18h00 or 18h30 every night except Sunday, in the courtyard or on the roof terrace. It's a Moroccan menu and costs Dh250 for three courses, including water and tea or coffee. Wine is available. Booking is essential before 11h00 on the day, at 0660 29 04 04 (mobile) or 0535 741 637.
- At Ryad Salama between the two main streets of the medina, you can choose between a Moroccan menu (Dh250) or a delicious fusion of Moroccan and French delicacies (Dh330). Dining is under the stars in the leafy courtyard of this beautiful riad. There's a dining room too, in case of inclement weather. Booking essential 24 hours in advance on 0535 63 57 30 or 0661 10 25 21.
- Palais Amani is a gracious guesthouse in Blida, near the tanneries. It's offering their usual set three-course menu at Dh320 per person, or a pre-concert buffet menu at Dh285 for a mise en bouche, a main course and dessert. If you're staying at the Palais or in the area, you can have the main course, go to the concert and come back for dessert afterwards in order to finish your meal on the roof terrace under the stars. Post-concert dinners are available up to 23h00. Book on 0535 63 32 09.